Friday, August 8, 2008

Hargoth's Adventure - Day 2

17 Last Seed

I was interrupted in my sleep early this morning by a loud noise. It's lucky I was, because I was then attacked by a man wearing strange armor, and if I was still asleep he surely would have killed me. I defeated him, and found a note on his corpse with orders to dispatch me. He appeared to be with a group called the Dark Brotherhood. And this is how they introduce the first expansion, Tribunal. It's a cool idea, but this played out really awkwardly. I left the door open when I went to sleep, and he was stuck behind it on the stairs. It's also strange how nearby NPCs just stand and watch you get attacked after them always coming to my aid in Oblivion.

Although I've been trained in the use of heavier armor, his gear was quite a bit sturdier than anything I currently had, so I decided to take it and sell what remained. I then fell asleep for a few more hours before waking and setting out to find Caius using Bacola's directions. On the way, I asked a guard about the Dark Brotherhood, and he told me to tell Apelles Matius about the attack, who is currently in Ebonheart. I'll do that soon, but I have other things I'm concerned with. I made it to Caius' house and met the old man, who's still pretty fit, not surprising for a Monk. After seeing the package I delivered, he inducted me into the Blades, the Emperor's secret spy network. It was by the Emperor's own will that I was set free and I am bound by duty to serve him as best I can. Before giving me any orders, Caius gave me some gold and advised me to visit fellow Blades for training and get some more experience.

I used the directions he gave me to find some local members, and they gave me advice and some items to use or sell; armor, alchemical equipment and ingredients. The armor wasn't as good as the Brotherhood gear and I don't have the brains to make sense of potion-making, so I traded them for gold. It took some time to find someone willing to buy the Moon Sugar, as most alchemists won't even deal with people who have it for legal reasons. I ended up finding a Khajiit named Ajira in the local Mages Guild chapter who took it off my hands.

While walking around, I heard a rumor about someone named Ralen Hlaalo being killed, and asking about it, I was directed to the Balmora headquarters of House Hlaalu. The Great Houses rule Morrowind, and Hlaalu is one of three with a presence in Vvardenfell. Inside the hall, I met a Dunmer named Nileno who seemed keen on having me join the House, and gave me a book including details about Council Members who I will need to meet to do so. I'd like to learn more about the Houses before committing to one, since they are fierce rivals with each other, so for now I just asked about Ralen. She asked me to find the murderer, but couldn't help me more than that. I checked what she had for sale, and it was stuff Thieves would buy. Strange woman. I kept asking around, and heard a rumor Nine-Toes was the killer. He's the Argonian Blade who gave me the Moon Sugar, so I didn't believe it was him, but went to ask him about it. He confirmed that he didn't do it. I'm normally not that trusting, but I feel as though I might as well believe a fellow Blade, because if I can't do that, then who can I believe? I went and tried to talk to the maid in Ralen's house. The doors were locked, so I had reached a dead end. I decided to see what Larrius wanted. I walked the short distance to Moonmoth Legion Fort.

Inside, I found Larrius. He mentioned an outlaw attacking people near Hla Oad I should take care of. I suspect it's the same man I avoided earlier. It is. He then told me a story about a magistrate taking bribes from criminals to reduce their sentences, and in not so many words, asked me to get rid of them. I went back to town, and asking the Thieves Guild members, I was told that the criminals in question were Carmonna Tong members who liked to hang out nearby. I went to the club and got a look at the targets, but they were many and strong looking, so I thought it best to wait until I was more prepared.

Wanting a way to improve my abilities, I decided to join the Fighters Guild, as Caius told me they're good about giving new recruits tasks that suit their skill level. I found the local Guild Hall and got recruited by Eydis Fire-Eye. She allowed me access to a chest with potions and tools to repair equipment, which I'm good at, and instructed me to kill the rats that have infested a nearby house. I quickly did so, and itching for another fight, I asked for another job as soon as I reported the first's completion. Eydis had me set out to take care of some egg poachers that were raiding a Kwama mine a little to the south. Outside, I was ambushed by a Kagouti that I think I saw following me the previous day, but I was able to kill it. I entered the mine, and fought off foragers while looking for the bandits. I ran across them one at a time, and both of them attacked on sight, so I didn't feel bad about ending their lives. I returned to Balmora for my reward. Eydis promoted me to the rank of Journeyman, and gave me another task to stop some rogue members of House Telvanni and the Thieves Guild who were causing trouble in a mine to the north. On the way there, I was assaulted by a Nix-Hound, but smote it like all the other beasts. Since it was getting late, I passed the mine and went to the town of Caldera to get some sleep.

I found the house of Surane Leoriane, another Blade, who gave me some advice. Her quarters were cramped, so I went to the local inn and bought a room for the night. Like the other Blades, Surane offers her bed for free rest, but she doesn't actually have one in her house, at least not outside the locked door downstairs. Irritating. I will now get some rest before pursuing my quest further tomorrow.

3 comments:

Inasnum said...

The Dark Brotherhood armor is an issue that always bugged me, because it's just plain overpowered unless you install the expansion halfway through the game. I also don't recommend pursuing the Tribunal content until the main quest is complete, or you might be out gunned and the lore will seem screwy.

So many good memories. I almost want to install it again.

Inasnum said...

Also! Caldera houses an odd merchant that might be of interest.

Adrenaline said...

I'd feel more overpowered if my character was skilled in light armor.